Convergence is a magazine for radical insights. We work with organizers and activists on the frontlines of today’s most pressing struggles to produce articles, videos and podcasts that sharpen our collective practice, lift up stories from the grassroots, and promote strategic debate. Our goal is to create the shared strategy needed to change our society and the world. Our community of readers, viewers, and content producers are united in our purpose: winning multi-racial democracy and a radically democratic economy.
About the Job
We are seeking an experienced, creative, enterprising Podcast Producer with a driven mindset to oversee the production of our magazine’s slate of podcast content. This includes producing our long-running show Black Work Talk, developing other shows currently in the pipeline, as well as pitching and launching new shows. The Producer will be responsible for all aspects of podcast production from concept development to delivery. They will oversee contractors for discrete production tasks, especially sound editing and promotion, and manage the on-air talent. We seek a Producer with a track record of excellent story-telling abilities through podcast production, with a strong affinity for the strategies and views represented on Convergence Magazine. This position has significant potential to grow with the right candidate to include building and supervising a full-time production staff team, driving the creative direction of our podcast stable and platform, and expanding our podcasting platform in meaningful ways.
- Produce Convergence podcasts from conception through publishing (episode pitching, pre-production, content writing, content collection, guest identification and booking, interview prep, production, post-production, publishing, post-publishing review and evaluation)
- Manage the workflow between podcast contractors and personnel at relevant stages of the production process (editor and audio technician, social media and promotions, hosts)
- Coordinate the production process, oversee assignments and deliverables, and manage the podcast publishing and production schedule
- Collaborate with Convergence editors to conceptualize and pilot new show ideas and formats
- Work closely and collaboratively with the rest of the Convergence editorial team and make key production decisions in alignment with the organization’s strategy
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience in radio or podcast production, producing and editing audio
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ear for compelling and impactful storytelling
- Track record in crafting editorial arc of episodes, inventive approaches to audio production, ear for sound gathering and strong tape editing
- Strong editorial judgment and the ability to produce compelling, thoughtful, and thought-provoking podcasts
- Strong writer
- At minimum, a rudimentary understanding of audio editing, hardware, and software. Preferred: Proficiency in audio production, scripting and editing skills, and strong understanding of pro audio hardware, software, and facilities
- Detail-oriented and functions well under pressure
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- A passion for podcasting, an understanding of Convergence’s mission, and ambition to leverage its editorial direction and publishing history into the world of audio
- Professional degrees or certification in communications or other applicable fields preferred, but equivalent experience in the field of radio/podcast production will be strongly considered
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Deeply collaborative and team-oriented
Salary and Work Environment
$55,000-$75,000/year, depending on experience.
We also offer excellent benefits, paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
Can work from anywhere in the continental US.
Flexible, but December 5, 2022 preferred.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 references (name and contact information) here: https://tinyurl.com/ConvergenceProducer
Convergence Magazine is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.